Get Your Car Road Trip Ready | Families
School is out for summer and many families are getting ready to hit the road for some summer fun! If you’re planning to drive to your vacation destination, it’s important to make sure your vehicle is ready and up for the trek.
Gates Automotive Center recommends several things you should do to keep your car running smoothly for your summer getaway:
· Check to make sure your tires are properly inflated and have a good amount of tread. If you have a spare in your car, be sure to check that it is also properly inflated. Tire pressure recommendations can generally be found inside of the driver’s side door jam or your car’s owner’s manual. Properly inflated tires can greatly improve your car’s performance and gas mileage.
· Check your battery. Make sure all the cables are properly secured to the terminals and look for any obvious signs of corrosion.
· Check your air conditioning. With the summer heat, you don’t want this unit to fail. Have your mechanic take a look to make sure it’s functioning properly.
· Keep your vehicle’s fluids well filled. This includes antifreeze, engine oil, transmission and brake fluids. Also, be sure to check your windshield washer blades to ensure they are in good condition.
· In case of an emergency, be sure to have a kit complete with blankets, first-aid kit, flashlights, food/water, jumper cables, basic tools and extra vehicle fluids.
“Extending the life of your vehicle is more important than ever these days, and it's crucial for drivers to proactively maintain their vehicles and prepare them for long trips,” said Gates Automotive President Jim Fonzi. “There’s nothing worse than having your car breakdown on a road trip.”